Hello! We are Bristol University Folk Society. As the name implies, we’re a group of people who like doing traditional folk related things and are a society of the University of Bristol Students Union.
We have a long history dating all the way back to 1981, when we first formed. You can read more about this on the Our History page. Today, we’re a very active society doing lots of fun folk activities all year round. We have several branches of the society that focus on different areas:
- Rag Morris – for all your Cotswold morris dancing needs, with regular teaching practice and public dance-outs throughout the year.
- Folk Club – we host music and song sessions, put on ceilidhs and run music workshops.
- Rag Mummers – over the years, members have got together to perform (and write their own) mummers’ plays, a very silly form of traditional folk entertainment indeed!
Membership to the society is free and all (over the age of 16) are welcome to join; we welcome students, university staff, alumni, local community members and non-students alike. Everyone is welcome! You can become an official member here or just come along to one of our activities.
The society is run by a committee, elected each year at our AGM.
The 2018-19 committee is:
- President – society leader, responsible for SU relations – Jess
- Treasurer – responsible to the SU for society funds – Jenny
- Folk Club Secretary – leader of Folk Club activities – Nick
- Folk Development Officer – organises things for Folk Club – Gus
- Squire – leader of Rag Morris activities – Joss
- Bag – organises things for Rag Morris – Matt
Foreman – teaches morris dancing in practice – Joe
Bookkeeper – keeps track of the money – Joe
Paraphernalia Officer – keeps track of the material things – Joss
Publicity Officer – tells non-members what we do – Kit
Merchandise – provides things to sell – Kit
Archivist – keeps track of our history – Jo
Room bookings – makes sure we have space to do things in – Jess
Music Coordinator – makes sure we have music to morris dance to – Jo
Karma Detective – keeps track of how we’re all feeling – Georgie